This blog is to give the instructor's perspective on the college experience - so if you have questions or need advice - post a comment and I will try to get back with you within 48 hours.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The True Joy!

Who would have thought that watching things blow up into pretty colors and designs far above my head accompanied by staccato bangs and whumps that jar the body - would lead to a stillness in my soul that has been difficult to duplicate these last few weeks. Sitting in a lawn chair, I began mediate on all that I have to celebrate about, which led to thanking God for the safety of those active in the dangerous activities and then for everyone watching. I became so filled with gratitude and joy that these feelings almost overwhelmed me long before the event was over. The crazy grin on my face while at the same time tears were welling up, went unnoticed in the broken dark and I was free to fully experience this moment of grace without impediment. Peace - in the midst of chaos, peace - without coming to any decision or revelation, and joy that seemed to come from all around me and through me.


Gratitude, it’s like a drug that causes a state of joy that is deeper and richer than mere happiness. It kicks sorrow’s butt even in the face of great loss, and slays feelings of inadequacy and confusion. I feel sorry for everyone who does not have a personal relationship with God. Unbelievers thank their luck or “the universe” or themselves or some nebulous idea that they call god or whatever. When I was an unbeliever, I thought I was happy enough – or as much as anyone else was. I had moments of happiness, pride, the joy that comes with the miracle of a new baby and thought that was enough. There is no comparison to the gratitude for the knowledge of everlasting love that Jesus has brought to the world. That blessed assurance is something worth reveling in!

No comments:

Post a Comment